Multichain governance has arrived on Aragon OSx! The new plugin leverages the LayerZero protocol for cross-chain messaging and the zkSync Era rollup for low-cost and secure voting. The code is still undergoing audits but you can already explore it here. This plugin enables DAOs to govern assets and permissions across EVM chains from one mainnet DAO smart contract. This is a major step forward for the governance of protocols deployed across chains.
Here’s how governance in multichain DAOs will work from proposal to execution:
- Create a custom census with tokens across chains: Create a custom census using governance tokens across multiple chains using LayerZero’s Omnichain Fungible Token (OFT) standard.
- Cast low-cost votes on zkSync: Once the census has been created, members will be able to vote settling on zkSync at a fraction of the cost.
- Execute the action across chains simultaneously: After the vote, users can utilize the Aragon OSx permission management system to execute the action programmed into the proposal on multiple chains simultaneously from your mainnet DAO.
The architecture is diagrammed here.
The plugin code is open-source and currently being audited. If you’re interested in using this design, inquire here about a custom build. The plugin ill launch on the no-code Aragon App in the new year. This specific multichain governance design would not be possible without Aragon OSx’s modular permission management system, making it simple to grant and revoke permissions to external contracts from a DAO contract.
Here’s what you can do with the plugin and why it’s exciting for the future of onchain governance.
- Execute actions on any chain simultaneously
- Build a census with tokens from any chain
- Vote on zkSync to save gas costs and increase token participation
- Have the advantages of security and liquidity on Layer 1, while increasing voter participation with Layer 2 scalability
“It’s clear now that ethereum is scaling through rollups, but we’ve left behind the piece about connecting and managing accounts across them. By working on multichain governance, we’re enabling Ethereum to scale by helping distribute liquidity and offloading some transactions to L2s, while protocols will still be able to live on mainnet.”— Carlos, CTO
We’re proud to integrate with zkSync and LayerZero to make multichain governance a reality. Here’s how it all fits together:
zkSync: the future-proof zkEVM on the mission to scale freedom for all
All votes in the new multichain governance plugin will be conducted on zkSync, a rollup leveraging zero-knowledge proofs.
zkSync’s technology also supports paymasters, making it possible for DAOs to pay for their members’ gas fees to vote.
LayerZero: Omnichain interoperability protocol
LayerZero’s Omnichain Fungible Token (OFT) standard makes native multichain assets possible. You can wrap any token to become an OFT, making it usable on any EVM chain.
These two industry-leading technologies, when paired with the modular permission management system of Aragon OSx, make multichain governance possible.
Aragon OSx: DAO framework with security and modularity at its core
Flexible permission management system: the permission management system at the core of the protocol is flexible enough to add a cross-chain condition using LayerZero.
Unopinionated protocol design: the design of Aragon OSx doesn’t conflict with the different choices of various L2s. Strong base plugin contracts: The base contracts handle the majority of the logic, making development easier.“`