Friday, July 19, 2024

The first two weeks after the surgery were the worst, the pain so crippling, so unceasing, that Nyheim Hines couldn’t even imagine climbing from bed.The mere thought of ordering takeout made him cringe — that would require hobbling all the way to the front door of his apartment to pick it up. No thanks. Not happening. On rides to rehab, he’d grip the armrests in the backseat, bracing for any bump in the road, fearing that even the smallest ones would cause his knee to throb. At the hospital, when doctors would ask him to straighten his leg, he’d want to shake his head and refuse, convinced the stitches were going to rip open right then and there.“Honestly, there were times I just wanted to scream and cry,” Hines told The Athletic, speaking about his last several months for the first time publicly. “It was just rehab, man, but it was hard as hell.”This wasn’t supposed to be what August looked like for Hines, the shifty sixth-year running back and special teams standout for the Buffalo Bills. He was supposed to be helping a contender prepare for a Super Bowl run.After the November 2022 trade from the Colts, after his two touchdown returns brought the house down in Orchard Park in the regular season finale — six days after teammate Damar Hamlin suffered cardiac arrest on the field in Cincinnati — and after an expanded role in offseason practices, Hines was starting to feel a part of something special in Buffalo.He spent last season studying the playbook for two hours each night; now he knew it cold, scoring 100s on the quizzes the coaches passed out. He no longer needed his position coach, Kelly Skipper, to translate the play calls from what his old coaches called them in Indianapolis. He saw his reps growing in practice. In Hines’ mind, 2023 was going to be the breakout season he’d been chasing since he first entered the league. Then, two days before the Fourth of July, he hopped on a Sea-Doo and lost a year of his prime. Inline-style:The most devastating part?All he was doing, Hines insists, was filling it up with gas. The ride was a few minutes, max.It wasn’t the accident but the surgery that would leave Hines with what he calls “two weeks of the worst pain I’ve ever experienced in my life.” Meanwhile, he found himself in a brief but bitter contract dispute with the Bills.“You know what I tell people?” Hines says, going back to that day. “I literally tell people my life is like that movie ‘Final Destination.’” One of the Sea-Doos involved in the accident that cost Bills running back Nyheim Hines his season. According to Hines, he hand’t been on one all weekend until volunteering to fill it up with gas. (Photo courtesy the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission)He hand’t been on the Sea-Doos at all that day. In fact, he hadn’t been on them once all weekend.Hines prefers wake-surfing, coasting between the waves just behind the boat, and that’s what he’d been doing for the better part of two hours on July 2. He’d rented a house with some friends on Lake Norman, just north of Charlotte, and was fine letting everyone else zip around the water on the Sea-Doos. He had training camp starting in a matter of weeks.But after a while, the Sea-Doos running low on fuel, Hines figured he’d hop on one and fill it up with gas. He was the only professional athlete of the group, the one with the $9 million contract, and he wanted to help.Inline-style:“People were saying the gas was low,” he remembers, “and I was being a good dude. I said, ‘All right, I’ll just get on one of them and pay.’”After Hines filled up the tank at the marina, he started driving the Sea-Doo back to the house, intent on getting back on the boat. According to the accident report from the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission, Hines stopped in a no-wake zone behind a row of boats. He didn’t get far. A boat was coming in his direction, so he tried to avoid it.“I tried to move to the right of the boat,” Hines told the police that day, according to the accident report. “As I moved to the right, I was hit.”Another Sea-Doo slammed into his right side, hurling Hines into the water.Per the report, it was Dylan Peebles, a close friend and former college track and field teammate of Hines at North Carolina State, driving the other Sea-Doo. Peebles was later charged with careless and reckless operation and for not having the proper boating safety requirements.“I was driving straight and didn’t see a boat in front,” Peebles told the police, per the report. “Then my friend saw it and turned and I hit him while he turned. He wa…

Check out our other content

Check out other tags:

Most Popular Articles